Sunday, April 2, 2023

Waiting for Inspiration…


 Here’s my last Louisville painting, 9x12. I painted the blinds with watercolor pens that were a Xmas gift. They act more like markers, as the paint doesn’t really spread too much with water…


Here’s a street scene I painted in class yesterday, 11x15. Not really my thing, but a very popular watercolor subject. I like painting the big shapes, and trying to figure out how to fudge the small details. But looking at it now, I can see I need to go darker, not enough contrast.



These are two small still lifes, 5x7 and 6x8. The top one I painted directly, the bottom one I painstakingly drew first. Both are kind of boring, which begs the question, how do you make a still life interesting? How do you make anything interesting?

As always, I am awaiting

a rebirth of wonder…

3 comments:

  1. I like what you've been doing. Even more in life than on screen, there is a real sense of the sun shimmering on the blinds. And the city had the look of sunset where all the color was in the sky and the buildings had softly reflected color. As for the still life paintings, I find them serene, not boring. They remind me of Cassatt or Bonnard interiors. But best of all is the line "....awaiting a rebirth of wonder." Yes! Aren't we all?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one you drew (painstakingly) is better imo. I’m intrigued by the window painting and appreciate the small details in the room. It really adds interest. I don’t know why I like still too. Maybe it’s like plein aire but inside. I’m liking your choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get tired of your windows. And I just noticed that the back of that chair has been in every window painting.

    ReplyDelete