Friday, April 7, 2023

Giraffe: 2.0

 So, technically my first watercolor "painting." Also, my first redo. The first painting was just the face of the giraffe, and while it was decent, the composition kinda sucked. So, I repainted it with more of the neck and mane. I used a photo that I took a couple years ago at the Lincoln Park Zoo. I faked in the tree from a photo I found online, but I might still tweak this a bit.

Overall, I think it's pretty good for my first "composed" painting. It feels a little too much like an illustration for a children's book for my taste. Plus, I feel liked I overworked the paint a bit too much, and relied on white paint to "fix" my highlights. But, I did learn a lesson about transparent vs. opaque paint!





2 comments:

  1. Wow! Dan, you have a real hand with texture. The fur, the mane, the leaves--all so sensitively and skillfully handled. I especially like your composition and your choice to create distance by fading the background leaves to concentrate on the action focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying that this is not the painting that we saw in class? Kind of abstract and yet very real at the same time, like those Chinese landscape paintings.

    ReplyDelete