Saturday, April 8, 2023

Alan in Mississippi 5

 I’ve been working on value drawings lately and trying to blend them in with watercolor washes. 


These are views at the Orr-O’Keefe museum in Biloxi. The galleries are metal pods with different exhibitors in each. This is a value drawing of them that I liked done with watercolor graphite pencils. 


After I hit it with water it took on more of a Notan quality but. I didn’t like it as much. It sort of smoothed out the vitality of the drawing. 


Then I added some color to it. 


I still liked the original drawing best. Then I started a full sized graphite drawing on 140 that I’ll wash some color into. 


Here’s the Chicago painting of Graceland Cemetery. I think it’s done. 


I’m still working on my Yupo painting of Greeta in Vicksburg. I do it while I’m waiting for paint to dry on my regular stuff for class. There are several artists painting on Yupo here so I’m trying to learn from them too. 




6 comments:

  1. The value studies are interesting. I like the last two (with water and color) because they reinforce the curves of the pods and that fence or railing between them. The Graceland painting is lovely…oh those trees! And the reflections…Greeta still looks comfy….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice value studies! I do like the first study, but I like how adding water emphasizes the curvature of the pods. I also can't wait to see Greeta finished. She has the languid feel of some of Sargent's and Cassatt's women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me, Elaine. I don't know why I came in as anonymous--I'm proud of my opinion.

      Delete
  3. I like the pods better wet, something very alien about them. Way back in my Truman days I used to draw the subject with charcoal, then wet it down several times so that there was no free floating charcoal and then color it in with watercolor crayons. I think I will dig some out of my archives next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water in the Graceland Cemetery painting - such a sense of calm/stillness and a beautiful reflection!

    ReplyDelete