Thursday, April 27, 2023

Portraits…

 



I started Portrait Week with this self portrait, drawn from looking in the mirror, and then I took a photo and used that as a painting reference. The proportions are a little off…my nose is too long, but I like some things about it. 9 x 12. The middle sketch is a quick study of  Quinn in 2 colors 7 x 10. The top sketch is Nora and her tulips, which I will eventually paint. Not a great likeness but maybe close enough…12x16.  I like the challenge of  drawing and painting portraits, but at the same time, nothing frustrates me more!




1 comment:

  1. Sara, you are getting to be such a skilled portraitist! I'm particularly impressed by the one of Quinn. It's so minimal in terms of color and brushstrokes, but it says so much and there's such a sense of personality and movement. I like the composition of Nora and the tulips--and, of course, the sketch. Your portrait may have some proportion issues, but it's beautifully done and there are so many things right about it. Quite an impressive Portrait Week. And if that's not a thing, it should be.

    ReplyDelete