Saturday, April 15, 2023

Alan in Mississippi 6

 I like this version of the Orr-O’Keefe museum in Biloxi. It’s on 140 with a graphite base and a watercolor wash. 


A quick sketch of Main Street in Biloxi on a cloudy and rainy day. Once again graphite on 140 with a watercolor wash. I’m trying not to spend a lot of time on the painting.  I like the sky and the oysters at the pub on the corner. 


I thought that I was done with this Graceland painting but our teacher informed me that I was not. I added some definition to the weeping willow at the left so that it read as that. 


I finished the quick painting of Greeta in Vicksburg. No drawing and fast painting. 


I spent more time on these dogwoods from Dogwood Hills golf course. I used the negative painting technique here. 



This is a quick study of two bathers for class. I like the fact that their features are indistinguishable because of the French Ultramarine Blue that I splashed on their faces. Much better than if I had clumsily tried to put their features in. First the value drawing then the painting. 




Leaving Monday and headed back home. See you. 


4 comments:

  1. I like the graphite paintings. The graphite really contributes to the mood. Your teacher was right—Graceland looks better now. I especially like the bathers. Good thinking about the shadows, but I wonder if they are too bright or if that blue needs to appear somewhere else in the painting too. The loose marks for the water work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something Galactic Evil Empire about that Biloxi museum, not that there is anything wrong with that. Like Greetah's Klimty pajama bottoms. Those bathers remind me of the Doublemint twins from the forties. And the grand prize goes to the dogwoods, simple subject, simply rendered, and simply divine, What is negative painting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work…especially like the swimmers. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete