Thursday, December 29, 2022

Recharging ….


 This is the only thing I’ve painted in the last few weeks & im having trouble getting back into the groove. Granted we’ve both been sick with colds for the last 2 weeks, so I haven’t done much besides keeping the couch occupied and scrolling the internet for signs of thoughtful human discourse on any topic…

So today, I decided to use the 5-minutes challenge to jumpstart my brain. I just chose a wolf Kahn painting at random and tried to recreate it in 5 minutes.


Not too bad so I decided to work on it a little after the five minutes.


So I spent maybe an hour on it. His paintings look like he just slapped the paint on any old way, but when you really study them, there’s a lot of deliberate variation in value and brushstrokes. And it’s big 52” x 52”. Mine’s  about 9”x9…anyways it was a good jumpstart, altho I’m back on the couch now…

3 comments:

  1. I love that tree, like a wall of jello with lights stuck into it. And the dark winter afternoon coming through the window, and the soft winter chair, which haven't we seen it before in an upstairs hallway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 5 minute warmup is incredible--as is the finished painting. Those warmups really do work, don't they? That tree painting exudes the feel of winter days after Christmas. The lights aren't as bright; it's gray and cold and snowy. There's a melancholy in the air and all you want to do is curl up with a good book and a cup of something warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great texture on the xmas tree. It's hard to do those damn trees. I like the warmups too. This would be even better as a larger painting. Imagine the tree detail you could have.

    ReplyDelete