Saturday, September 17, 2022

et / adventures in skin tone

 I'm getting more comfortable rendering skin tones. I've learned to veeerrrry carefully building up the colors, always starting with a red tone. Randy Rainbow is done. The second is a watercolor sketch of my grandson Émile picking peaches.

These have been part of the effort to completely use up old tablets and sketchbooks. Maybe by the end of this session I can return to my watercolor blocks and better paper quality!



If you're curious about Randy Rainbow's satire, here's his latest video, "Lock Him Up Yesterday."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSZRkeQfnk










4 comments:

  1. Wasn't it in The Grapes of Wrath where they talked about going to California where you can just pluck oranges off the trees? But these are peaches and this is the midwest, I like the background. Looks a little like he is plucking oranges (peaches) out of a cave painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done in both cases. Will Emile has a face and more stripes in his shirt? I like the stripes against the dark background. I feel he needs just a hint of features, or maybe just a shadow across his face,

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve done Randy proud. Nice start on Emile. I think that you put too much effort into your paintings to paint them on poor quality paper. I like to use poorer quality sketchbooks for drawing practice or other educational efforts because I’ve done too many paintings that I wished I had painted on better quality paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautifully done portraits...and they look much better in person than on screen. I love the composition on the Emile painting. There's such nice movement and the striped shirt is genius. Also, you have the essence of Randy there. Again nice sense of movement and perfect background!

    ReplyDelete