Saturday, April 9, 2022

Alan Shopping and 5 X 7 sketches

 I went to the store to buy some fruits and vegetables. I thought that I would paint them and dumped them into a bowl and posed them.


I did a value drawing of them. 


I’m starting to think that they’re helping my painting. I dropped in watercolor on top of the value drawing. 



I kind of liked the way that looked but I started to do some studies. 




I’ll paint the entire thing next after I figure out how not to make the same mistakes. 

Wisteria has always intrigued me but I couldn’t figure out how to do if without a lot of drawing. So I decided to just draw the thing. 



7 comments:

  1. The wisteria is lovely- the soft colors work so well. Really like the watercolor vegetable study-you captured the value shifts really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems all of us make quantum leaps in our paintings when we start doing value studies. I like the vegetables alot. I love the wisteria! The delicate line works so well and the subtle colors really suit the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way on early in my artistic journey I used to put in a charcoal sketch on big paper, than go over it with water to fix it, and then I would color it in with watercolor crayons. That's kind of like your system isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my system for that painting only. I did like the way it looked though. I usually trace my drawing and then paint it (like the last one).

      Delete
    2. In response to Ken's comment, those paintings done with charcoal and watercolor were all on newsprint!! ai-yi-yi

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back to Alan, your value studies are really working for you and make your color studies divine. The delicate flowers are rendered perfectly with the delicate pencil work and soft watercoloring. nice.

    ReplyDelete