Saturday, April 2, 2022

Alan Gulf of Mexico and my alley

 I finished the painting of the Harbor House. I’ve painted it many times but this is the best one. 


You may be interested in the method I’m using currently. Here goes—-

I took this photo of the henge on the vernal equinox. 


Then I cropped it  


Then I Notanized and gridded it  giving me a value drawing and a correct grid.



Then I edited it using the Waterlogue tool.


Then I gessoed a 16 X 20 stretched canvas and gave it a lemon yellow wash.  I then built up the building sections using thicker gesso that you can see when you enlarge the piece.  I waited for that to dry and drew the images I wanted and painted on that.  I should have waited to do the phone wires but I didn’t.  So here’s a painting of the Chicago henge looking down my alley at sunset  


Watercolor on gessoed stretched canvas. 

Then I did a quick value drawing and a watercolor sketch of some live oaks in Mississippi.



A study for a future painting later?


3 comments:

  1. Thanks. Interesting to see what all those programs do. Sometimes I think the process just helps me prepare mentally more than anything else. Love your two live oaks studies. There’s an energy and a color sense that’s really nice. I like the bits of blue peeking thru the trees and the boldness of the tree trunks all tangled up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lot like my process, except for the waterlogue or gesso, nothing but Stratford for me. But there is something about an alley painting, messier and more intimate than the formal showy view from the from the front sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting to see your process, too. It sounds like we're all going through a similar process, but using different tools. Yours are good to know about for help in things we're having trouble with--digital notan instead of value studies, Waterlogue for simplification, etc. Fascinating.

    Enough about process. I like the live oak alley a lot. There's an energy there and the color choices are lovely.

    ReplyDelete