Saturday, February 19, 2022

Washes



 I’ve tried to work on washes lately. It’s amazing what can happen. And, of course, it’s a thing that watercolor is best at.   Here’s my friend’s lily before and after a dark wash.  




I’m doing more drawing before I start painting. Here’s a value drawing of a forest in winter. 



A contour drawing



The actual painting on Yupo. Of course I can’t do a wash on Yupo unless it’s first. 


Another value drawing and quick sketch of another winter forest scene. 



I’m using a series of washes. We’ll see what happens when I try the actual painting. 



6 comments:

  1. I love the Yupo forest. It's got a lovely fairy tale feel to it. Are you doing a glaze over the whole painting for the first two? Or just over parts? There is a difference, but it's subtle. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IS it just me? I don't see any difference between the before and after lilies. I still see that classic tabby cat beneath the lily.

    I like that foreground sapling. Maybe it would look stronger standing alone than with its little buddies to the left. Very nice snowdifts.

    Interesting color in the winter forest scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I couldn't see any difference on my phone. Even on my laptop, it's very subtle.

      Delete
    2. Putting the stems underwater by washing a dark paint over the entire water area made the flower stand out more IMO.

      Delete
  3. Yes, you can see the lily come forward a bit more with the stems receding behind. It makes a difference. But I must say your drawings are utterly fantastic! Each one of them has so much energy and enthusiasm and are so right on. If you could paint with that same kind of sensibility - then watch out world.

    ReplyDelete