Saturday, February 26, 2022

Fooling around with washes

 I didn’t like the little fairy tale forest so I made the background darker and added more shadows. 



I washed the background woods with a darker blue. It’s interesting that two woods scenes a so totally different. Artists have a lot of power. 



After I got the background right, I wasn’t happy with the flower so I added more vibrant colors until I got the effect I wanted. 



For my market basket painting, I started with a scribble drawing, then did a value painting with payne’s grey on old photo paper and then did an actual painting on 140# paper. 




I still have to figure out the shadows at the bottom. 

Having fun painting again. 




5 comments:

  1. ooo-ooo-ooo, they're happening now. Darkening the background and introducing the shadows in the foreground really make that forest painting. And the second forest still has the energy of the drawing. Yikes, the purple spikey flower fights out of that demanding background. Each stage of the market basket trio is unique and exciting in it's own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's obvious that you're having fun. The fairy tale forest has a definite mood, as does the second one. Love the way the colors are so rich when you layer them. The lily really works, background and foreground are all of a piece. And I'm always interested in progressions, where artists show line, value and color studies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flower looks sprightlier, a purple faerie queene, but that tabby needs some ears. Couldn't you have added some onions to that fruit basket? Whatever became of that great onion painting? I was thinking five years ago, but I have noticed that when I say five years it always turns out to be ten years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was just six. https://saturdayshowtime.blogspot.com/search?q=onions

      Delete
    2. The largest item in the basket is an onion.

      Delete