Monday, February 14, 2022

Garden memory

 My shade garden gets one corner of sunlight so try to make the most of it. 

Then still thinking about flowers, an exercise to determine values. Beginning image not pictured was a photo of an oil painting.  First a contour drawing  no lifting the pencil  Then filling in values with #2 pencil.  Second, no drawing just painting values in Payne’s Grey.  Third, no drawing, painting shapes and values with paint.  This was fun  and gratifying  why don’t I do it more?




 Note:  My insane tablet has reversed #1 and 2.  And I don’t dare try to fix it.


3 comments:

  1. All these flowers make me ready for spring. Aside from that, I love the way we're all doing value studies. They work! I really like the sunny garden. It has the sparkly feel of summer sun and vaguely reminds me of some famous artist (but I can't think who). On the final vase of flowers, that touch of violet on the shadow side of the vase is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said that rose had the feel of something that had been just dashed off in a carefree ten or fifteen minutes, though I knew it surely took more time than that. And here I see clear evidence of your prep work and yet it looks like it has been dashed off in like twenty, twenty-five minutes. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden painting has such intensity and complexity. It's wonderful to look at. It does remind me of someone like Bonnard or Vulliard, perhaps. Yeah for value studies too.

    ReplyDelete