Sunday, March 17, 2024

March 16, 2024 — Elaine O.

Several things going on here. First, I've spent an inordinate amount of time over several days trying to fix this. I darkened the street at the bottom. Then I added some people and spent a few more days tweaking them. In the end, this is it. I may or may not attempt this again.

14" x 11"

Still in the Parisian mood, I began this landscape. It's Monet's Water Lily pond, as seen from a wisteria-covered bridge. It's more cheerful than my rain-drenched actual experience, but that may change.

11" x 14"

And finally... a bit of an Art Mystery! I saw the Picasso Drawing exhibit at Chicago's Art Institute. (It's worth the visit.) And, while here, I saw a series of 4 lino cut prints. As you can see, they're listed as "Still Life with Lunch"...


However, a closer look shows that Picasso called them "Nature Morte a la Bouteille." My very limited French lessons tell me this means Still Life with a Bottle, not Still Life with Lunch (which would be dejeuner).  Thanks, Duolingo! You've made me one of those know-it-alls who go around correcting art installations! 



Still, I was intrigued enough to research further—and the mystery deepens. The Met in NY has two of these prints and they call theirs "Still Life with a Snack." What?! Their website lists Still Life with a Bottle (the French version, as printed in the Chicago exhibit) as a secondary title for both, though. There are no visible written titles on theirs, just a Picasso signature.

So, what's going on? Is it a snack, a lunch or a bottle? Does anyone know anything about this series of lino cuts and what they're really called? As for me, I'm going with the title in Picasso's own hand.


5 comments:

  1. Time spent well worth it! It’s really alive now. Monet looks good already. I’m trying to do a similar piece here on oak tree azalea scene but never seems to work out.

    I’m going with you on the bottle….know zero French but have heard they do indulge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much as I like those long and rambling anecdotes I am going to keep my distance from bottlegate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes I like the lively decorations by the street. If one cups the ear on can hear from behind the windows the music and steps of a saucy gavotte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the marks you’ve made in the pond painting. They are all interesting. I’d also like to see you paint just the cafe portion of the building. That’s the part that draws my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cafe details add a nice grounding to the Paris painting. Your gesture markings of paint for the garden with lily pond are exciting to see and make the scene feel so alive. Can't wait to see it as you go on.

    ReplyDelete