Saturday, November 25, 2023

Works in Progress….



 These are two canvas boards that I covered with watercolor ground, but as you can see, the brushstrokes of the water color ground did not disappear. I guess I should have watered it down maybe? I need advice from Elaine and anyone else who has used it. The top one is a house portrait of my son’s house. Along with their new garage, they resided the house and put on a front porch. It’s 8x10 and I’m using gouache.That tree shadow will look better after I darken the sidewalk, I hope. The bottom one is watercolor on canvas, about 6 x 6.I like the tomato and plate but the avocado needs a shadow imo. Not sure about that background 



Here’s a big watercolor, 11 x 15, on paper. It looks like a forsythia plant, but actually it’s a rose bush in my backyard. All the leaves turned yellow this year, which has never happened before. It’s so festive and everything else is so drab, I had to paint it. I’m not done yet.

5 comments:

  1. Use gesso on canvas. You will still get texture but I like texture. I like where the big one is going. It's good that you can see through the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the view you've chosen for the house portrait--it looks so majestic. I like the still life, too. The composition makes it feel so cozy. That would be a lovely painting to hang in a kitchen. And the tomato's colors are beautiful. That rose bush (it does look like forsythia!) is going to be good. The textures make it feel crisp and I love the saturated blue gazing ball against the bright yellow leaves, in a field of grayed colors.

    I get brush marks with ground, too. I tend to brush both ways and diagonally and then, at the end, use the tip of the brush to do very light whispery strokes. I still get some texture, but it's not awful. And if the ground is fresh, I use it out of the jar. If it's slightly dried and thickened, I add a bit of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, those sponge brushes they use for crafts work. They give a finer texture and you can do a batch of panels and then toss the brush...if you think that far ahead and/or have those brushes on hand.

      Delete
  3. What is the background on the vegetables? A blue dish (love that circle) on a blue napkin on an orange and grey table? Are those horizontal lines the brushstrokes? Because they are all the same they show through a bit too strongly. That globe thing looks like it is at eye level and shouldn't you be looking down at it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both gouache paintings look good thus far. Great compositions. It's just the disruptive surface of the canvas board that's bothersome. Why paint on something that's made for thicker media like oil or acrylic? The big watercolor backyard painting is looking interesting. Can't wait to see where you go with it.

    ReplyDelete