Saturday, November 11, 2023

Alan Fall 10


 I’ve been looking at a lot of urban sketchers on YouTube and other sites. It’s something that really interests me lately.  I’ve tried plein aire and always hated it. So I built a little light weight kit and the last video I watched concluded with the artist saying “You’ve watched enough videos. Go paint something!”

I don’t like it when the perspective is really off so I make pencil marks to insure I have things in the right place. Then I draw the thing freehand. After drawing, I erase the pencil marks leaving a simple pen and ink drawing with as much detail as I need. Then I add splotches of color. After that dries, I might refine the ink, or not. I think that because it’s just a memory and not a formal painting I feel looser. 

Here’s some I did last week:

This is my favorite bar in Ocean Springs Ms.  I thought that the ink line was too thick and ran into the sketch making it look darker than I wanted.


I did it again using a finer tipped pen and liked it better. 


I used a photo but I could have done it in person. 

This was one of my favorite places I remember as a boy. The Hackley Public Library in my hometown of Muskegon. I don’t know how long it took me to sketch this but it wasn’t long. 


This is a lighthouse in Marquette Mi. I haven’t been here in years but I remember it well. Besides pen and ink and watercolor paints, I also used watercolor crayons. 


I really liked certain things about this quick sketch. I might rework some of the fall leaves. If I did it again I’d get the shape of the main building better. 

Starting to get the hang of this and like the colors. 



6 comments:

  1. I like all of these, but I particularly like the way the first two ar painted. They’re so vibrant and fun whereas the other two are a bit more formal. Actually the last one fits into that fun category too. Keep going with these! The other thing I like about is that the ink lines are not obtrusive— they meld into the colors. So many sketches that I see online look outlined by the ink, which distracts the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fun. They have a playfulness about them that's engaging. And even when you add line, I like that it's not rigid or confining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah this series is fun. I've never been a fan of ink line with watercolor - sometimes it looks like coloring books...But the scale of these really makes it work well. It was great seeing them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The usual pen and watercolor piece is a nicely drawn image and a few week splashes of paint that approximates, or maybe doesn't, the blue of the sky, the green of the grass, maybe some red bricks, splashed on in the backseat of a car driving over a rough road to the gallery. Who cares? Those two bar paintings look a little unfinished to me, and I like the second two paintings a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one of these is a painting. They are all Sketches.

      Delete