Friday, November 24, 2023

I don't know

 


This started out as a closeup of a leaf but soon turned pretty abstract. At one point the painting stopped talking to me at all and I had no idea what to do next and was ready to toss it into the dustbin, but some of you guys encouraged me to carry on. I didn't know what you guys saw, but just to do something I splashed in some paint (mostly that burnt sienna squidlike thing) arbitrarily and slowly the painting began talking to me again.

Those concentric circles on the left were a bit of a risky move, but I couldn't know how it would turn out unless I did it, so I did.

And now I like it, but I can't figure out exactly why.

9 comments:

  1. I like the stem kind of falling away into the blue nether regions….but the concentric circles are so….inorganic….at least make the lines wavy or something. They remind me of a bullseye target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the circles. I like the whole thing. Maybe do some work on the veins. You like it because it’s interesting and organic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like the circles, expand them, maybe turn them into an ever expanding spiral that moves across the area. Subtle up on the veins a bit so they don't over dominate. Don't figure out why, just keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. If it’s done, why is your post titled I don’t know?

      Delete
    2. Good point Sarah. What I meant by that was that I didn't know why I liked it. But I think anything more would be fiddling with details that wouldn't make much difference. And doggone I like it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Okay, so who's the boss of your painting? You, the painting, or the rest of us? Now that is the question.

      Delete