Sunday, November 26, 2023

Alan Fall 12

 The first two are quick sketches taking the class suggestions into account. 

Added some branches. Still love the little tree on the left.


Lightened some values and reduced the darkness of many windows. 


Farmers market in Beloit. Had fun with the vegetables but disappointed with the woman in shadow. 



Back to Chicago alleys. I was standing on the top level of a parking structure when I saw these views and thought that we had not painted alleys from this perspective. 


Another view in a different direction. The first is the pen and ink drawing. Then I dropped in some color. 




This is for Ken. I’ve a friend in Tucson who has a garden. He sends me pictures of flowers but this time he sent me a photo of a leaf. Look familiar?




7 comments:

  1. Have liked that red house through all three incarnations. Those other ink and water sketches remind me of Grace Lai who was quite popular locally about fifteen years ago. Personally I am not crazy about the genre because the paint looks like an afterthought. Well line 'and/vs' color, that could be a good topic of discussion accompanied by a few drinks at the bar.

    I have no idea what kind of leaves they are, but I like them a lot. I like the broad dark lines with the paint peeking through, and that lighter leaf in the foreground. Some people look at all those lines and think, goshdarn that is going to be tedious, but once you get into it, it is a rollicking good time no? More leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paint is an afterthought. A difference between plein aire painting and urban sketching. Like you do at 10 Cat with your little tablet and pencil.

      Delete
  2. So much to say! Lessening the contrast on the windows made a real difference to the seaside painting. I like the Farmers' Market a lot. Maybe the shadow needs to be warmer...or extend a little further to touch the kids? Those have to be the widest, cleanest alleys I've ever seen. I like them a lot. Cool leaf, too! That would be fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some really cool, clean alleys. The first reminds me of Diebenkorn's downtown perspectives. Very nice. And that leaf is out of this world. I can't wait to see it in person. Yeah, the shadow got a little too blackened next to the veggies. Nice effort on the lightening up the coastal village. Seems to expel more joy now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all those details in the last pen and ink sketch — the cars, the trees, the wires, the windows - so many windows to draw! But all those details give its life and immediacy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete