Sunday, July 2, 2023

SS An Overseas Worker Remembers

 I met again my Cousin during my latest Ph vacation in February 2023. He has retired from years of hard work and long time separation from family as a ship repair maintenance employee in Saudi Arabia. Cousin had a stroke last December and during his visit with me was still in a recovery phase. I was impressed by his energy and can do spirit with his limited mobility. His handsome face reflected his life history of struggle, setbacks and success. I painted him with a sense of nostalgia and commonality because I felt both of our families have health challenges. I honored his experience of working on ships and foreign waters with a backdrop of turquoise waters and sailing ships. I included a tiny cylinder of the Titan as a memento of the 5 nautical explorers. I thank all fellow artists for positive feedback on this creative project!


Happy Painting to all! 

3 comments:

  1. This is a lovely portrait, Susan. I like the way he appears to be deep in thought, reliving memories. I also like the way the background frames his face without detracting from the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sailor whose mind is still on the deep blue sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely expression. You take very bold strokes with your brush and yet manage to be so sensitive.

    ReplyDelete