Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Alan in Chicago 4

 I might have completed this iris painting on gessoed canvas. 


I did some quick sketches of some flowers that I’m not really happy with. Theses are all done on 140# coldpress.   The first is a pen and ink drawing with a wash of watercolor. I tried painting on a slant board but the colors got away from me. 


Then I tried water soluble crayons from the cabinet in the room. I liked certain aspects of this medium but I have a lot to learn. At least I liked it enough to want to try some more. And I’m gonna try to fix this one  


This is the beginning of another contour drawing of some of my neighbors lilies begun with water soluble crayons. 


We’ll see. 

2 comments:

  1. I am really liking this new floral series. The red and green pen and wash floral has such a nice depth and blending of colors on the petals. Same for the petals and background of the crayon water lilies. Eager to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know I don't ordinarily approve of watercolor and pen and ink, because the watercolor seems like just a cheerleader for the main game of the pen and ink drawing, but in the case of those red flowers I believe they are hanging together equally and well. I see a lot of of good possibilities in the yellow, red, brown (nice spectrum) lilies.

    And now could Elaine and I get a little attention? If you are rendered speechless at the depth and grace of our art, but are pressed for time you could copy and paste this: I am rendered speechless at the depth and grace of your art!!!

    ReplyDelete