Saturday, March 4, 2023

Lotsa Stuff…


 Three-Year-Old With an Attitude, wc on hot press, 12 x 16”she has a strange glow because I drew her and a grid on the paper with a yellow watercolor pencil. I thought it would nicely dissolve, but it did not. Hot press is a challenge, but I have several more sheets in this block to learn how to paint on it…


Five-Year-Old Yearning to be 13; 12x14, wc on cold press…I painted this in class today. I didn’t have a lot of hope for it, but it turned out okay. She’s a little light, but maybe I could darken up the coat and hair.




Here’s another bowl of shallots; I think I posted the other two last week. The oranges painting is a copy of a Hazel Soan painting from her book on the limited palette. It’s painted with alizarin crimson, ultra marine blue and Indian yellow. Her paintings are really nice, although her subject matter is often elephants. There’s an interview with her on utube discussing using a limited palette. The woman interviewing her is a bit ditzy, but Hazel imparts a lot of good info. And her paintings have that “just dashed off” fresh glow that watercolors should have imo….

Missed all the old masters today…

5 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! The portraits have such personality, and are so delicately done. The shallots and oranges remind me of Cezanne; they are so rich and full and beautiful. I had the same experience with yellow watercolor pencil on my alley painting. I used yellow ochre and it left an odd golden glow. I tried to push that effect in my sketchbook with other colors but it didn't dissolve into that glow--so maybe it's just yellow? Anyway, I'm so glad I saw these in person. The colors are even more glowing and magnificent than on screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the second portrait I would darken the background or coat, but I would not touch those golden locks. The third bowl of shallots is the best, like the outliers sitting on the tablecloth. For sketching on the paper I always use raw or burnt sienna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the 2nd bowl best. And I loved the oranges. I just didn't see anything that I didn't like in that painting. I'm really starting to like your portrait style. A lot of good things happening for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girls look direct painted and not drawn. Very fresh and alive.

    ReplyDelete