Sunday, January 23, 2022

Studying the Old Masters….

I wanted to paint from life yesterday in class to sort of get my mojo back. So Ken was sitting in front of me and looked relatively alive, so I painted him.  I ended up washing out the background in order to put him in focus. Not a great painting but I think it’s ok to make bad paintings — I have shelves full of them…


 So of course I took some pics and today developed this sketch from the pics. I like juxtaposition of Ken painting against the straight lines of the  bricks and buildings. 


Now I’m working on a painting from the sketch, which looks a little more promising. Working from life once or twice removed I guess.
 

4 comments:

  1. Love these! I feel like I'm there. This is a great lesson in how to approach a painting. It looks like you deliberately explore a particular aspect in each version. And each iteration adds something new to the final.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that yellow sweatshirt make my butt look big?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like these. I’ve had the idea to take pics in class and then paint. You got a lot done for one class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I luv all three of these and how they progress, each leading into the next. Yea Sara.

    ReplyDelete