Saturday, September 26, 2020

Elaine O.—September 26, 2020

 I'm still working on the portrait. It's 9x12 and I've been slowly working around the subject. Seems I'm back to my usual MO, avoiding the face until the very end. I'll get there, though!

Not much else happening. I've been working on our front door. New paint... new hardware... and now I'm waiting for supplies for the address numbers. I've been sketching and photoshopping styles and colors, and also wandering the neighborhood, just in case I get a better idea before the actual install. Also, I got a new pen...

... and used it to sketch a morning glory blooming in a tangle of weeds by the telephone pole in our alley. It's gorgeous! The color of the morning glory in the sunlight was what originally caught my eye, but as I sketched, I was really amazed by the variety of weed shapes and colors, not to mention the way it all naturally shaped like a floral spray.

5 comments:

  1. About the little girl, even without face details,I saw her gestures! And the colors underneath skirt remind me of the underwear petticoats I used to wear as a little girl! The blue pen is handsome. And the weeds & mini flowers are sidewalks gift to passersby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can paint that bear on her shirt, you can paint her face...she is just about as lovely as they come. I like the combo of the pink and brown background. Pretty bold blue pen and then back to the softness of the weeds. Almost looks like a wedding bouquet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's that same world wise girl isn't it? I can see the outline of the face, just darken them a little. That looks like the most comfortable armchair in the world.

    Love the morning glories naturally. Do you remember that big old cyclone fence in the alley behind the out building where we used to have our class? One summer it was ablaze with pink morning glories. Late in the fall I gathered seeds and every year since then, I think fifteen years, they have been blooming on my balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that alley fence with the morning glories! Are yours pink? For some reason, I always thought they were purple.

      Yep, same little girl and I'm hoping to stop on her face before I go one step too far.

      Delete
  4. She looks so sweet and comfy. But I know you've said she's never just sitting still. Yeah, just the face and it looks like your done. Her parents will want this one for the record.
    What an homage to the pen. And it certainly did a good job on the morning glory sketch. It's true, it does look like a bridal bouquet. Very lovely and lively.

    ReplyDelete