Saturday, September 19, 2020

Elaine O.—September 19, 2020

I didn't get much done this week. I added a little to the portrait today but I was mostly restless and distracted by the shocking RBG news. I'm deeply saddened, grateful for all she did, and energized to continue the fight. We were truly lucky to have been touched by her presence.

No further work on the Sargent project either. I was distracted with another painting project. We are going to paint our dry, sun-grayed front door. Spent a lot of time walking around and looking at doors, sanding, wood-filling and sanding some more. Then, we chose a color in less than 10 minutes. It's pretty similar to the darker parts of the swatch at the bottom—but flatter. (Hmm.... I wonder if you can watercolor an actual door?) We'll be doing the actual painting next week.  Maybe I'll do another sketch then.

5 comments:

  1. The colors in your portrait look lovely and soft. Don’t know if that’s the vibe you want but it’s a beautiful start. How big is this? I love the door farewell portrait. The blue will make it look brand new!
    The RBG news was a gut punch, but the story is not over yet. I feel bad she passed still thinking of what she couldn’t accomplish. Truly, she should rest in peace knowing how many people she inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The portrait is 9x12. The door is smaller. It's in my sketchbook, so it's about 5x8.

      Delete
  2. Actually, you did a lot on the portrait since last time. She's quietly, subtly emerging. Your door sketch is a great homage. As long as you shellac over it, why not watercolor it?!

    I recently read a biography about RBG and her whole life was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sitting at the Ten Cat Friday night when I glanced at my phone during a break in the conversation and saw the terrible news. Casted a pallor over Friday night, and now we are to have another huge battle that we have no certainty of winning. I like the door too. Maybe you should make a really big painting of it likw Ivan Albright.

    ReplyDelete