Sunday, September 8, 2024

Copy catting….




 I’m spending my recuperation time copying paintings that I like, mainly for their color and sense of contrast, which creates great drama imo. It is  really hard to get the dark darks in watercolor, and maybe watercolor doesn’t lend itself to that sense of drama. So what are the traits of watcrcolor that can be exploited to create that sense of drama? Besides trying to answer this burning question, I’m doing fine. It’s amazing how they can stick a bunch of metal parts in you and it feels no different, except it doesn’t hurt to walk anymore!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Those copies are incredible! It took me a moment to realize they were in pairs--yours and the inspiration. You definitely have the colors--and they are so rich and saturated. I think you have the value contrast you wanted in the first set, so maybe you just need another layer for your darkest darks in the bottom two. Or maybe just darker and thicker paint? More blue and less water? I don't know, but I would consider these successes as you absolutely have the feel of the inspiration pieces. So glad you're walking again--and without pain! That's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, but I wish you hadn't so closely tied the original to your paintings, so that now I can only judge your paintings in relation to the originals. If I had done this I would have yanked or added a tree here and there and deliberately changed the colors around so your paintings would be more than echoes. But that's just me, just Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you’re on a good track as far as learning to paint watercolor. After all, we are students here trying to learn. These exercises look like you’re getting some good techniques down that you’ll be able to use in your original works. Interesting to see what art you picked too as well as your take on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found I was actually more interested in looking at your paintings than your inspirations for them. But then again, they don't look like slavishly copies, but more like your unique interpretations--which is cool. And in that way yours are more interesting. If you want more drama, you might want to have stronger contrasts between values with the last two paintings. Pain-free, what a concept.

    ReplyDelete