Sunday, September 15, 2024

A Hodgepodge of Subjects…


 I did this before but I like this one much better. I used neutral tint for the shadows. I might have to frame it. It’s in a sketchbook, maybe 6 x 10?



The top study is small, may 4 x4.. the head and hand look a little disembodied, but I like the way the face is painted. The second one is larger, maybe 8x10. I like the pose but there’s a lot of grays and browns in the clothes. I may have to jazz it up or mute the whole thing except for the two heads…


I’m going thru old sketchbooks and repainting unfinished or bad looking sketches. This was once a giant pear on two blocks,. Now it’s a squash on two books.. this is an old Arches sketchbook and the paper is so Lucious to paint on. It just absorbs layer after layer of color. 


Oh look, I even did an abstract this week, although really it was more of a color study…this is on Fabriano sketchbook, which isn’t bad,but not nearly as absorbent as the Arches. Neither claim to be 100 percent cotton but you can clearly see the difference between the two papers. The color kind of sits on top of the Fabriano.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I'd frame that first one. I love the composition, the color balance, the graphic quality, and especially those leaves. I also love the baby pictures. You've caught the way tiny baby bodies curl up, the weight of them, and the way the subjects fit together. Just beautiful. The sketchbook paper comments are interesting. Now that you mention it, I can actually see the difference in the way they absorb the paint. The Arches paper lends itself to such soft blends. That squash on books creates a lovely atmosphere. It feels like a book cover--of a book I'd want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that flower! Neutral Tint is one of my favorite tools. I think I use it in every painting with either strong or light value. The pot and leaves are also very well done.
    Although it’s a little weird I like the pear/squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flower with its shadow is elegance personified. The colors softly glow, the spaciousness is bliss and the value contrast is perfection. And that sketchbook painting of pear to squash, blocks to books truly is a transformation. It has such a sense of color and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flower and its shadow is a winner. I like the contrast between the color and 3d and black and white takes the cake. And the big doctor. Also the compassion in that big face and the utter trust in the wee brown head stir the heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete