Sunday, March 13, 2022

Finishing things up



 I’ve gone back to some older work that I never considered finished and did some more work on them.

I’m still working on Wyatt by going back to the original photo and seeing what I’ve missed. 

I put an opera wash over the lily to make it brighter. Maybe I will do another. 


I changed some of the fruit and took out those shadows in my market basket. 


I did another value drawing of my Mississippi front yard and then painted a version on hot press. 


Not done yet but I can’t figure out what to do next. 



6 comments:

  1. I think the tree needs more of a presence, darker, brighter. That might not match the photo or the value drawing, but those don't count once you are done with them. Only the paint on the painting before you matters. Or anyway that is what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. You’ve really pushed the contrast in all the paintings except the tree. In the other paintings, the dark backgrounds make the subject pop. But the tree is the opposite. Sio I guess I agree withKen: the tree needs to go darker…and maybe mute some of the foreground. That orange mass is competing with the tree for attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your value drawing the foreground is much lighter. Just follow your value drawing,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the basket works better without the shadow across the bottom! My absolute favorite is the value study of the tree. You've got such a sense of atmosphere. When you move to color, some of that is gone. I think the colors create focal points that distract from the tree. Maybe if the tree were darker or more commanding, like the value study? I'm really getting sold on the value of these value studies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wyatt painting looks stronger. And the lily painting is truly amazing, it's simply weird. The basket looks much better now. Again, your value study of the landscape is divine, but when it's painted you seem to abandon your understanding of the values.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Separating value from color is really hard….

    ReplyDelete