Sunday, March 6, 2022

Carrying on

 I continued on with my market basket placing a dark shadow on the bottom. I didn’t like it but am tired of scrubbing out the dark.  I like it better in the photo here  



I decided to do it again on Yupo since I knew how to draw it by now.  


I liked certain aspects of it but also liked parts of the regular watercolor paper version 


I did a value drawing of the place we stay in in Mississippi.  I’ve tried this many times and always failed  


Then I did a quick color sketch


And then a drawing to transfer to watercolor paper  



Speaking of things I’ve failed at.  Here’s my grandson Wyatt as a toddler.  I’m trying to make him look real instead of doll like.  We’ll see what happens  


Oh.  By the way 





3 comments:

  1. Someone's been busy! I love the peach and the sunlight coming through the basket in the first market basket. Something about the bottom shadow feels like it's underwater on both versions. I don't know what's wrong...maybe it's too much the same color flattening it out? Anyway, I can't wait to see the finished Mississippi landscape. And Wyatt looks like a doll in real life, so good luck with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about the water effect in the basket. I'll have to work on it after I figure out what to do.

      Delete
  2. yeah, I agree, the bottom shadow is not working and just confuses the rest of what looks to be a rather interesting painting. We'll see where you go with it after a break.

    It's interesting to see the landscape preliminaries and how they differ in focus. I have to say I find the drawings the most powerful. The value study clearly illustrates the lights, mediums and darks of the composition. The color study seems to lose some of the integrity that the values provided. (Seduced by color) The last drawing gains strength again both compositional and in value.

    You probably just need to paint Wyatt a few more times and loosen/lighten up about it. It's not a bad painting, it just looks very uptight.

    ReplyDelete