Saturday, March 12, 2022

Elaine O.—March 12, 2022

Another painting with white outlines. Something about the uncontrolled masking fluid lines calls for the paint to be the same, with loose, casual brushwork. While this feels more like illustration than painting, I'm having so much fun that it may end up as a series. I'm thinking the technique might work well for architecture or a cityscape.

9" x 12"

The painting above was all done with one dagger brush. It's now officially part of my brush family.  I've finished my 30-day challenge (final sketch below) and really like the way the brush behaves. It occurs to me that a return to normalcy means re-learning how to paint mouths and noses, so maybe a new 30-day challenge is in the works. 

 



4 comments:

  1. Interesting how the maskit separates the image into well might I call them tiles? But then you have the freedom within the tile to mess the paint within it around without worrying about any effect that might have in the neighboring tiles. I have to agree, yes a series. More, more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walter Anderson and his descendants all have a white line technique of sorts not done with masque. I supposed it was so the paint would not run into the adjacent shapes so you wouldn’t have to wait for the paint to dry and could paint faster and more freely. I do like the white line though whether it’s from masque or just being careful. And I love the colors.

    I liked the 1/2” dagger so much that I bought a higher quality 3/8”. With those two brushes, a 3/4” oval wash and a 0 liner I reduced the brushes I need to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely. Love the energy of the portrait. I like the texture on the table and the blinds in the flowers painting. I like the flowers too, but it would look just as good without the mask it effect. There’s a lot of energy in your brushstrokes in the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your work with the mask-it is absolutely fabulous, Elaine. No matter what the subject matter is, approaching it in this way gives the painting so much energy and spontaneity. Even drawing with a pencil couldn't do it like that. Nor could just leaving a white line or space around sections. What you're doing has the opposite effect of that. The former would calm it down, make it slow and studied. Yours is like a gesture drawing, a live wire, bursting with energy.

    ReplyDelete