Sunday, March 6, 2022

Elaine O. — March 5, 2022

Lots of "learning opportunities" this week! Still playing with masking fluid as a drawing tool, I realized that the technique isn't best suited for delicate or low contrast edges.

Somewhere in LA    18" x 6"

Remember my 2022 Art Resolution? I was planning a daily decluttering and sketch in a sketchbook dedicated to “things gone.” Well, that didn't even last a month! There are several reasons but the main one is the 9x12 sketchbook I used. It's the wrong size. Each page looks like a collection of unrelated junk, rather than a celebration of each treasured item. So instead, I am using it as a regular sketchbook. Here are some palette-cleaning experiments with my dagger brush:

12" x 9"

I'm nearing the end of my 30 day dagger trial and I really like it. I'm also a fan of the watercolor  charcoal I've been using. Great texture, granulation, value range and workability. Some quick 7"x5" sketches:






8 comments:

  1. Is that a Target woman walking past a Target Store? Love the fireworks of the palm tree.
    Love that third watercolor charcoal painting. I see so many things in it, but I am not sure what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS Target! But they are just Target signs hanging on some building. I think it's a garage. That third charcoal is a boxer, arm from behind. I think I mangled his muscles, but the paper couldn't handle much more.

      Delete
  2. When you paint on Yupo, the paint will not stay where the masque was. It leaves a residue that paint will not sit on.
    I love the dagger brush too. I just did some fast watercolor sketches with the 1/2" dagger and a 00 round only - uncomplicate my painting.
    Love the rats and agree about using a larger sketch book to do small quick work. A problem for me is that when I have a larger paper, I feel that I have to make an actual painting out of it.
    Now I have to buy some watercolor charcoal. You are going to bankrupt me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still like your masking fluid "technique" with watercolor, even if it is low contrast. It adds an energy that's both subtle and distinctive. Do keep it up. Dagger painted rats are delightful scurrying about the page. And watercolor charcoal! Qu'est-ce que c'est?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant smaller sketch book. I should check myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is watercolor charcoal? Is it a solid or dust or a pencil? I don’t think I’ve heard or seen it, but then again, maybe I’m not paying attention….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I have is a cake that you can wet and use like pan watercolor. I think it also comes in tubes. I'll bring it in to class next time.

      Delete
  6. Those little rat/mice look like something treasured….guess I have to take another dagger brush trial….

    ReplyDelete