Sunday, March 13, 2022

Drawing with Integrity…

This is a drawing from last week’s class. Pat taught me how to draw with integrity. I have trouble when I draw from life getting the proportions right. The secret is to take one thing and draw everything else in relation to that one thing. In this case, the one thing is the vase. It’s hard; you can only use one eye and you have to do the pencil thing. But it works. Previously I was measuring things in relation to each other as I drew them (ie, building to vase, windows to building, foreground to windows, etc.) It makes a big difference…

 

I spend half my posting time trying  to enlarge photos. That little button just doesn’t respond to my touch. This is done or close to it. Not crazy about the vast expanse of yellow or his face….I might try this again on better paper. Not sure I like the composition either…Maybe that tree should come down closer to the figure….or maybe the shadow should be higher up. Background looks kind of unfinished….hmmm…Not sure how integrity figures into the drawing since  I deliberately made him bigger…altho I thought I kept things in proportion….
 

 

6 comments:

  1. The vase is nice but I would like the background behind it to be darker, or maybe a dark shadow on the right side of the vase. But what do I know about integrity? Nothing, that's what.

    But I do like what you did with your brother. Shadow is fine, propels him forward, the background is just the background, if it does no harm then it is doing its job. I don't know if you did anything to him, but his body language looks stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who painted this? It’s becoming more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's this "drawing with integrity?" I have to learn more as this sounds very intriguing and valuable. Also, I like the resulting drawing.
    As for your brother... I love him! This is very much a portrait of a real person--I can just see him standing there and have a sense of his personality and interests. The background frames him nicely, but maybe you can take down some of the contrast between the tree and the cabin and the mountains behind him so they are all more similar. That might keep the viewer's eye on him and not bounce around the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your still life drawing was so much stronger before your painted it. I think you might need a value study for it too. Your painting of your brother looks great, although the background does need to be reconsidered, shape and value-wise. And his cast shadow might be a bit too strong overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no values to study on the stilllife as I didn’t take a photo, but I guess I can imagine them…

    ReplyDelete