Thursday, March 10, 2022

Brotherly Love…l


 Working on a study of my older brother from this tiny snapshot. He died last fall and his children just held a virtual memorial for him this past Saturday. This is one of my favorite photos of him, at Yellowstone NP; he was about 15, I was 8 and I think I took this photo.



First study, done in class last week. A little cartoonish, not too crazy about all the background.then I decided to go big.



I think the paper is about 12 x 18. I like it so far I just have to stop messing with the head. Here are some studies I did of the head.

4 comments:

  1. This is great. I love the reference photo--it calls to mind family vacations gone by. I love all the photo gear he has slung all over. I agree that the first study has too much background. He gets lost in it. He definitely deserves the full 12 x 18 space to himself. I like the composition on the latest one a lot. Oh, and the taped on paper for the shadow is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike my comments to Alan on his frontyard tree, this is not about the paint, it is about your brother. I like the one where you went big. Looks very real in the way you cab see the weight of the cameras hanging from him. Also he has kind of a nerd slouch. I don't know if he was nerdy, but I admire nerds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely memory. All of that gear is replaced today by a smart phone. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you've got his posture down now. And you've painted the head shots well too. Just what you see - not what you think you know.

    ReplyDelete