Saturday, October 3, 2020

Three Faces of Sun

 Today, I painted 3 passages of my life at 3 different parts of my universe:


(first at left ) A 60 plus year old watercolor artist at an Art Exhibit at Chicago Cultural Center (center) A 17 year old accounting student in Manila (right) A 3 year old who enjoyed colorful bags & socks in my hometown! As background, I painted a night of starry night, a sky of blue & orange & a dawn of a new day to complement the ages of each figure.When my family commented " does not look like!", I felt relieved that I did not have to paint a realistic likeness. Since the inspiration is a yellow selfie of the artist Kupka or Kufka, I knew the 3 year old dress would be yellow! The original reference  photos of the 3 year old & teenager are in black & white!

5 comments:

  1. It’s a beautiful painting - just as vibrant and fresh as the subject and artist! I like how you incorporated the yellow into all three subjects: it really ties the painting together imo. Your portrait skills are great—each image could stand alone as a painting by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is really excellent! I'm impressed with the concept, the composition and the execution. You've really thought out what you meant to say and every element contributes to the message. It's like Renaissance portraits where props and backgrounds have a message about the person. Compositionally, I like the way the green shape carries the eye, matching the eyeline of the figure at left, who seems to be reflecting on earlier selves. And the portraits themselves are beautifully done. One of your very best paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Susan, what a masterpiece you've created! It has everything going for it: composition, color, theme, intention, line, movement, texture...you couldn't ask for anything more. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your positive feedbacks my fellow artists! Now my relatives are requesting their own Faces series! The black and white photos and the value studies I have been doing lately helped me to focus! It was a happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely--both the idea and the execution!

    ReplyDelete