Saturday, October 3, 2020

Sara falls into Fall

 Before I forget, 


https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/01/arts/design/hockney-drawings-review-morgan-library.html?referringSource=articleShare

This is a link to a review of a David Hockney Portrait exhibition at the Morgan Library in NYC. The review has several Hockney images in it. I love the collage of him and also his line drawings. What he achieves with a few simple lines is amazing. Click on the Morgan link at the end to see a watercolor self portrait. You can also sign up for a zoom presentation of the exhibit for free — several dates are listed but the first few I tried are full. 


So I took everyone’s advice and worked on this one some, raising the vegetation line, strengthening the windows. It gave me hope, so I did a few more.


Th

I like all of these a lot better. Adding more context (furniture, drapes) helps. The middle one comes closest to my original intent, but the bottom one has a more abstract quality that I like. These are all 6x9 inches, except the last one is 9x12.

Here are my freehand drawing and watercolor Portraits for this week . These are 9x12. Both have proportion issues, but the watercolor has a better likeness. I like my drawing but it looks like a different friend...weird. Also what’s the secret to painting watercolor eyes that look at the viewer? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm constantly impressed with all you get done in a week. I'm a big fan of the trees through a window series. I like the active angled frames, the added bits of framing with furniture and draperies, and the way we're drawn out of the room into expansive, almost explosive daylight. And I especially like the way the light describes the trees at different times of day and year.

    I also like your portrait series. You are using the best qualities of each medium to make different points about the sitter. I can just see your friend making a thoughtful point in conversation at a party. Lovely! And thanks for the sizes--I agree with Pat that it's a good idea and I've tried to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Hockney link. I copied the collage self-portrait for a future inspo...

    I gotta say, one thing I like about the window paintings is the angle you've painted them at. I simply could not do that. I would have to paint the verticals, vertical and that would be that. So I enjoy the fact that you haven't. It's like you're lounging on the couch while painting the view out the window and it's has an intriguing overall effect. The little bit added beyond the window framing looks good too. A very nice series. Keep going.

    The portraits in both pencil and watercolor are great too, each in their distinct medium. I don't have any problems with proportions in either. As you know, it's not about making it photographic, but getting the essence. And it seems like you've done so in different ways with different media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the different views of your windows. The second to last one with the blue-gray tones is especially nice--reminds me of my Aunt Lydia's sunporch.

    ReplyDelete