Saturday, October 24, 2020

Sara’s Slow Week


 I did one more window painting, a little different than the others. It’s 6 x9.



Then I took a page from Elaine’s book and tried copying Whistler’s wonderful watercolor portrait “Millie Finch.” My drawing does better justice than my painting but it is an interesting process to study another painting close enough to copy it. For example, I’m not sure what is happening to the right of Millie. While she’s busy posing is her friend struggling to get out of her tight corset? Or is she a bride engulfed by her lengthy veil and is Millie the maid of honor and supposed to be helping her instead of looking sultry for the artist? I had a great time inventing scenarios....these are 9 x 12, as is the original I think. 

Finally I got down to business and started this portrait of Quinn today. It’s 12 x 12.i like how it’s going, but need to resolve all those Phantom digits in the foreground....


3 comments:

  1. Another great week for you. I love the light in the window painting. You've gone all Monet—it's very evocative of a season and time of day! The Quinn painting is lovely. You've given her such personality. As for the fingers, just keep them blurry and we'll assume they are going to end up in her mouth. I agree with you totally about copying paintings. I rarely get them right, but the value is in the slowing down and looking, I think. Yours look really good, though—both the sketch and the painting. You've got the shape and movement of the subject and the feel of the Whistler. Success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you continued with the window series. For some reason my favorite part is that little grid section in the bottom corner. Interesting incidents.

    Also enjoy your sketch followed by painting of the Whistler painting. It is an odd scene. You've recreated the dramatic, staged look of it all.

    And Quinn is great. What a mischievous look you've captured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the window best. Autumn leaves are nice in person, but on paper not so much. Likewise a window is not much in person, but on paper, when you have to notice the details, much better.

    I think the dress is like on one of those old fashioned things they used to put dresses on. And the attitude in this is more important than anything else and I think you have that.

    ReplyDelete