Saturday, October 24, 2020

Elaine O. — October 24, 2020

I finished the Alley Bouquet. Who knew morning glories could be so hard? Between the color matching and the blending, I spent an entire morning trying to get them right. I think it captures my intention. I was originally attracted by the sunlight and the glowing color on the one flower; then, the more I looked, the more I noticed the overall composition and the variety of all the different weeds.

Alley Bouquet    9"x12"

I was in an interesting Zoom walkthrough of the Monet exhibit this week. It was more of a runthrough, but they do give you links to their digital library, where you can zoom in and examine as closely as you want. The Zoom video is accessible on the Art Institute's You Tube channel. It's full of fascinating videos.... and as a bonus, you'll get recommendations for other exhibition walkthroughs for days to come. That and the rainy gray weather inspired this next painting.


Michigan Avenue, Looking South       9"x12"


3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have this beautiful view of flowers in your alley, Elaine. And your painting of it is exquisite, the Morning Glories, perfect.

    Who knew that Chicago in the rain could look as romantic as a painting of Paris? I feel speechless about it. I luv the color of the brownish cement block in the bottom color in contrast to all the blue grays of the rest of the painting. And how everything gradually fades out into absolutely nothingness toward the center. All the reflections are dabbed just right. And of course, the trees. They're alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same— I love the quiet beauty of your alley bouquet,but the Michigan Ave painting is so evocative. I love The framing with the back of the sign and lamppost and the bus coming toward us, the massiveness of the art institute against the trees, and the color palette with just that mass of green andTouch of yellow. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I last commented on the morning glories I thought that you were finished and the glories were just some pale pink hue, but now that I see them in their royal purple I am much pleased.

    The Michigan Avenue painting reminds me of the one that Greeta did of Wacker drive on a snowy evening long ago, though yours is much cheerier. Even a rainy day is bright when you are heading to see the great art. And I like the back of that sign, gives it a balance and perspective, makes the Institute a little further down the row.

    ReplyDelete