Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Do-over Time….


 
Nothing I like better than trying to recessitate a failed painting.i lightened and darkened this one and I think it came out with a little more flair….


A still life I started in class that has yet to recapture my attention….



I found this little sketchbook (4x6) that I bought maybe five years ago and decided I’d better start using before I can no longer paint that small! Inspired by Alan’s sketches, I sketched onsite in my backyard with pencil, painted and then inked the sketches. I used a .03 pen in the first one, the only waterproof pen I have, but it’s too fine for me. The second one is a non waterProof gel pen, which is too heavy imo.fyi Greeta, it is magnolia tree season here and they are glorious this year!
 

3 comments:

  1. I liked so much about that first painting but after you've changed it, I realize it's more all of a piece now. Everything belongs together in the same light and place. Even if you never finish the still life, that onion is masterful. The sketches may be my favorites of the lot. I find it interesting that you ink last. I think that may contribute to the liveliness of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your bloom got too washed out but everything else is on the right track. Imo the bloom should be the focus. I think that need to hit the soluable ink with some water so that it blends. Of course you run the danger of muddying up the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think moving that window off center and away from the flower stem made a significant difference. As well lightening all that darkness at the bottom half of the painting. It could maybe use a bit more tweaking...We saw how luscious those veggies came out (although they did have quite the trip). And good sketches, although I prefer the less inked ones.

    ReplyDelete