Saturday, April 20, 2024

Alan Spring 4



 I finally finished my Alice Schille exercise. I didn’t like doing it in the beginning but I probably learned more from this than the other exercises. 

I was surprised to see that most of the other students did as well with this. It’s 7  X 10 on coldpress.

This is a fairly quick sketch of a house we walked by several times while on the Gulf.  I used a soluable ink on the trees which created some weird effects when I tried to control it.  The house was sketched with non-soluable ink. The washes were added after.  5 X 7 on hot press.




Still working on the Yupo version of the flowering aloe plant. I’m trying to let the colors naturally blend but the blooms run together if I go too fast. A lot of time waiting for things to dry as I’m putting down a lot of water to get things to blend right. I made the mistake of scratching out some stuff too early and now the paint won’t stay on the surface. 11 X 14. 


It’s coming along though. 

5 comments:

  1. I already like the flowering aloe plant. Those color blends are magnificent. I'm also really liking your sketches. I'm a big fan of water soluble inks for plein air sketching (with or without paint added later) and that tree really works. Isn't it funny how the things we dislike turn out to be the most educational? What did you get from the Alice Schille copy? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use of a sort of pointillism and freedom to paint enthusiastically. It was no fun until I made it fun.

      Delete
  2. I think the house, or really the tree in front of the house, is the star of this show. I like the strength and spread and variation in tone of that big ol' guy. And those loose squiggly lines in the greenery are an excellent counterpoint. You have become the master of live oaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Alice Schille painting looks hard to do. So many details, so many colors, but somehow your copy looks unified….love the live oak, not sold yet on the aloe plant….

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav is the house and tree sketch. I really luv the exuberant scribbles you utilize. Everything really works well together, paint, colors, line and composition. And the aloe plant is painted so interestingly. I like it already. While I think you did a good job with the Schille exercise, her painting is just not my cup of tea. But as you said, that doesn't mean you can't learn something from doing it.

    ReplyDelete