Sunday, April 7, 2024

Alan Spring 2


 A weird combo of sketches and paintings this week. 

After looking at Elaine’s lovely painting I realized that I had left the darker colors out. And, as I was looking at the actual tree, I realized that I had left the resurrection ferns off too. These ferns cover the larger branches giving them a softer feel. 

Outside our door blooms this lovely Fire Azalea so I did a small ink sketch of it and washed it with paint.


There are spiderworts all over the ward so I painted this on a Yupo trading card while I was waiting for something else to dry.


For fun I’m including a stained glass mosaic of Walter Anderson that hangs in his family’s shop in Ocean Springs. One of my favorite pieces. 


 

Back to urban sketching.  Here’s Biloxi as seen from the Cafe Beignet,

And here’s a quick sketch of Front Beach in Ocean Springs. 

Most of these are small sketches but I think I might make a real painting out of the beach scene.



6 comments:

  1. I liked that tree a lot last week, but I think the new version is even better. Darkening it has made it much more powerful.

    I like the sketch. It has a sharply defined foreground, middle ground, and background and the ink and the painting are playing well, like antelope and deer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really painting away Alan. I have to say, I still prefer the first of the large oak tree paintings best. The background doesn't really add anything to the painting, more of a distraction than anything. The painting of the tree is fine, but what's the white lines running up the trunk. It seems distracting in this rendition. I do think your sketches are interesting in composition and style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the first one too, but it looks nothing like the actual tree that I painted plein air. This one is much closer. The white lines are big vines that grow on these trees.

      Delete
  3. I like the way that tree has progressed. The leaves are lovely. I wonder about the white lines on the trunk, though--mainly because those marks are so different than everything else and they only appear there. I like the sketches alot--such a fine balance of line and paint. On the beach scene, are those clouds all paint or some kind of 3D medium? And if you do go with a full painting, can you clarify the structure on the bottom left for me? I'm not sure if it's a wall or a slide. Those trees are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of it as a slide just a wall, but now it’s all I see.

      Delete
  4. I love the little fire azeala against the fence sketch — so delicate and just enough detail on both the flower and the background.The spiderwort is lovely too, again just enough info, not overworked. I like the last beach sketch too, the way the sky is painted, the palm trees and the shadows. The tree looks good, but I like earlier versions better. What is that quote from someone famous? “You’re not painting a tree. You’re trying to turn a tree into a painting.” Or something to that effect….

    ReplyDelete