Sunday, April 21, 2024

April 20, 2024 — Elaine O.

I know this isn't an oil painting blog, but just this once, I have to share one. I just finished my very first oil painting! It took awhile but I'm pretty proud that a) I finished and b) it's not awful. So, here it is—a look down my street in autumn.

approx. 14" x 11"

And then, back to watercolor...and Paris. I'm beginning to paint last week's study. The key to this will be the dark/light interplay between indoors and out. I kept the view very light, but we'll see what happens when the darks go in.

Mon Déjeuner à Versailles Avec Dave    14"x 11"

PS—I don't think I'll really call it that. While My Lunch at Versailles with Dave is the actual truth, the painting will have a totally different vibe, so it'll need a different name.

Also, you can thank me for refraining from pontificating on my observations on the differences between oil and watercolor. You're welcome!

6 comments:

  1. Although it’s oil your watercolor props shine through. It’s very interesting but painters have been using watercolor in studies in preparation for the oil painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a pontificator myself, I would like a little more pontification on oil vs watercolor. Specifically were there things that you found you couldn't do in oil that you often do in watercolor and were there new things you could do with oils that would not work in watercolor? And did the fact that with oils you have to let them dry, and in your case you had a week's wait between sessions, did that make painting more or less fun?

    The oil painting does seem watercolory to me too, but maybe I come to it with expectations. Either way it's great. Goes to prove you can never use to much yellow. The watercolor seems monumental to me, I wonder if there might be a bigger version in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oils seem richer in color, slower and almost infinitely correctable. Watercolor feels more luminous and faster. It's less forgiving, but more immediate and active. Basically, I think I work differently in watercolor than in oil. You can go from dark to light and keep adjusting as you go in oils. In watercolor, you have to think more at the beginning and then go in decisively--but then, quickly partner with the paint as you go. Blending is different, too. And having to wait to let them dry gave me time to look and think. I think my oil may be a little watercolor-y. One of the other students said something to that effect too--like it's more blended and less solid. Oh, well, I have a lot to learn.

      Delete
  3. The oil painting is wonderful! I love the bricks, branches and all the yellow leaves. I can see it as a watercolor too. I always thought the best part of oil painting would be the fact that you can paint dark to light instead of light to dark….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a real advantage. You can keep adjusting and add highlights at the end instead of reserving them at the start.

      Delete
  4. Oh I'm so glad you put up your oil painting, Elaine. I meant to ask you to in class. It's fantastic. The lightness of it, the complexity, the perspective, the reflections, the way-up-closeness, the colors and on and on. The beginning of your watercolor looks fabulous so far. Can't wait to see the dark Dave.

    ReplyDelete