Saturday, April 18, 2020

April 18, 2020 — Elaine O.

I'm trying the mudras in a different style. This is more painterly and draws on the Tibetan paintings more than the sculptures. The colors are traditional. I'm happy with the first one, but having trouble delineating between the red and green on the second, especially on small areas like the fingers. It's not finished, but I may have to try the second one again!



I've been sketching, too, but not as religiously as I'd like. I missed a day here and there. Here is the tree out my front window. It's at one of my favorite stages, where the buds look like glowing green popcorn bits.


Nothing to see here. It's my bathroom window and it looks onto a brick wall. I rather like it by night, though.


I skipped a window or two, but I had to document the unseasonable snow as seen from the rear window.


Went back to sketch this window. It normally has the blinds drawn, but it does have some interesting textures—bricks, both old and replaced; and siding, both vinyl and old asphalt. Kind of like an Old Building Patchwork Quilt.


I'm so glad to be able to see and hear about everyone's work. Still, as good as this is, I can't wait to see everyone in person.

By the way, when you're posting, you can click on the image and enlarge it to "large." Most of them seem to default to medium and I think large works better.

Stay healthy!

4 comments:

  1. That red/green mixing is amazing, Elaine. And the way you let it combine to make a beautiful gray shadow in the hand. I think this Tibetan painting style is really working well for the mudras. And the out the window sketches. I just luv them. Who would've thought the brick views would be such a knockout! Best keep those blinds open. Yeah, and enlarging all the images make does enhance the viewing experience.

    So is Alan able to post on his own now too? And what's going on with the MIA images???
    pps: Truman has announced school will be closed through Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that rose and viridian in the hand? The background confuses me, what is it? Is that green her arm in the first? I don't know what it is in the second and I think it is too close to the color of her hand. I still like the first sketch you did with the hard lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alizarin crimson and pthalo green! I think they are basically the same colors as rose and viridian, but more like their big brother/sister. In the first one, she's topless with lots of jewelry and a draped gold cloth. I agree about the second... I have to think that out some more. I really like the sketch with the ink, too, but I'm doing a series and that style doesn't match the other three in the series. Still pondering.

      Delete
  3. Love the hands, as pat said, the color combo is lovely, esp the gray it produces.Your sketches are so lively and of the moment! Especially like the tree and the bathroom window. And I like the abstract quality of the brick wall. Glad I was finally able to get into comment, been having trouble doing that. This is a bit wonky, this program. Props to Elaine for managing it all these years! Great to see Alan & Greeta too!

    ReplyDelete