Saturday, November 28, 2020

Sara’s value issues

 

Here’s another trees thru the window study. I was trying to capture the last rays of the sun on the building, rooftops and top branches, but it’s not working the way I want it to. I’m not sure doing it with the window frame helped anything. It’s kind of disappointing when reality is so beautiful but doesn’t work as a painting. This is 6x9.


Here’s another experiment. I used oil pastels for the sun, the clouds and the water, but then I painted over it with watercolor. I like the sky but not so much the water. I wanted it lighter. The water is always  this mysterious color at sunset, imo, silvery, green, blue, hard to pin down. This is 4x5.


Here’s my big success for this week. I painted this portrait direct and I’m pretty happy with it. The proportions are decent and I love the expression. I really went slow and looked for the shapes. More and more I’m noticing that the paintings I’m drawn  to emphasize big shapes over little details. But I think spending more time getting the values down in the drawing will be helpful. Who knows...oh, and I looked at the inspiration photos after I painted the tree portrait they were very cool. im going to studythem  a bit more & maybe try  again... 

6 comments:

  1. As always, I'm in awe of your color choices. You've got that golden sunset glow outside. Instead of losing the frame, maybe darkening it would highlight the glow? And while you may not have gotten that silvery cast to the water, the color (and the texture) you have achieved is beautiful. I love the spaghetti painting and sketch. The colors are perfect--they give it a nostalgic, timeless vibe that suits it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I agree with Elaine. The inside/outside might need a stronger contrast to make it really work. And not a brown, which is a color you also have outside. A dark, strong color that's completely unique would would maybe do the trick. I like your mixed media sunset on water. The textures and colors and simplicity work well. And spaghetti boy is a treasure. Both versions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been watching a lot of Universe on Netflix, and this looks like one of the views of the primordial Earth just after the rocks stopped raining down and the wee little guys had pumped a lot of oxygen into the air, and the slime molds are just beginning to go to the beach. A lot of action in that sun and the waves are roiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The artists I like never really use brown in their trees. The task you set for yourself is a difficult one. Believe me I know.

    I love the sun over the lake. It is different and interesting and looks somewhat like real art. I’m interested in looking into mixing watercolor with other mediums on other mediums after looking at your and Elaine’s work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My WC teacher at Old Town worked primarily in pastel and had us using pastel pencils over our watercolors. She would be very interested to see that you have done the reverse.

    Sara some day u must have a show with just the views of that window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My WC teacher at Old Town worked primarily in pastel and had us using pastel pencils over our watercolors. She would be very interested to see that you have done the reverse.

    Sara some day u must have a show with just the views of that window!

    ReplyDelete