Saturday, November 28, 2020

A little process



I was interested in how I got to the end result in my painting. 

Here is a pic of the meadow behind my cottage in Michigan at the beginning of autumn. 


Then I edited it on my phone until I got to this. 


Then I painted this on Yupo. 


Greeta and I were at the Powerhouse at Beloit College in Wisconsin. We were on a tour and I took this pic of Greeta. I just thought it was interesting. 



I ran the pic through a watercolor app on my phone until I came up with this. 


Then I painted this on 140 lb paper. I kind of liked the simplicity of the piece. 



I sometimes wonder why I just don’t print the edited version but where would the fun be in that?



  


5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love process shots and hearing about direction and intentions. These are good! I like that you went with Yupo for the colorful trees. Your style on Yupo really suits the subject. The minimal style of the painting of Greeta works beautifully on the 140 lb. paper, too. You've really captured the likeness, too.

    I bought a phone app a couple of years ago, too--and promptly forgot to use it! I'm with you--it's fun to play with, but more fun in painting it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the hesitation in Greeta’s pose. It says, Should I be in a place that requires a hard hat? I like the the way you painted the foreground and background in the trees painting. It adds a lot of interest and increases the feeling of being flooded with light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about those watercolor filters. I don't see how they advance the painting. Of course I do a lot of prep work that never makes it into the painting and I get mad at myself for wasting time, but then I think maybe that has soaked into my subconscious and is quietly guiding my brush from the back of my brain.

    When I see that photo of Gretta my first thought is Silkwood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew phones could do that? Interesting to note that the yupo version actually toned down the technicolors of the original shot and made it look more realistic. Your painting has a lyrical quality that's quite lovely. And Greeta's is wonderful in it's minimalism. Great work.

    ReplyDelete