Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Sara considers pink & purple




 Nora and often discuss favorite colors and she has told me rather definitively that All girls like pink and purple. And if you’ve ever walked down the toy aisle at Target  or bought girls’ clothing, you know where she gets that idea. I liked the action of her coming down a tube slide in this photo, so I decided to paint a  pink and purple world (with a little burnt sienna). It was a challenge to create the depth of the tube, the shadows, and the weird angles of her body. I like the way the closeup composition is painted but I think the one showing the whole mouth of the slide works a little better at showing where she is. She looks more like a kid than a toddler, which she definitely is these days....these are 6x9ish...oh here’s the photo



And here’s my oil pastel with watercolor paint experiment. I just put down a bunch of oil pastel colors and then painted pink and purple over it. I like the scratch thru effect I got using a fingernail and a mat knife. I was going for a ribbon and bows image, but after seeing The Octopus Teacher movie, I’m rethinking that. 

Anyone hear from Elaine T. Recently? Thinking of her & missing he her work...


3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like these! I'm glad you're showing the progression. I'm finding more and more value in that lately. I know exactly what you mean about pink and purple; I've been blinded by the Pepto-Pink glow of the Barbie aisle myself. I like the values and composition of the closeup, but I agree that seeing the mouth of the slide makes more sense. In the closeup and sketch, she almost looks like she's in a hammock and we lose the action. The closeup looks beautifully sunny and graphic--like an illustration for playing in the playground on a sunny day. I like Nora on the second one... maybe it's a question of adding some depth to the top of the slide.

    So, you added watercolor OVER the oil pastels? I tried that too this week. For me, it worked best in small bits as a resist (instead of masking fluid, so you can add a bit of color and not have to remove the mask later). I see yours, though, and think I didn't go far enough. I'm off to try some more!

    And I think Elaine T. is back soon. I miss her and her art too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purple egg series. I like the last one best as far as shapes and composition goes, both the drawing and painting. But it's true you can't tell what's going on in terms of it being a slide, if that's what's important to you. Your mixed media extravaganza looks like fun. An Easter basket in process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink and purple are princess colors. When I had a class of 1's or k3s, sometimes to kill time (it was all killing time) I would ask them what they were going to be for Halloween and the girls would list this and that and when they were all done I would pause a sec and then ask loudly, "Who wants to be a princess?" and every single girl's hand would shoot straight up, every single one. Being a sub was often very difficult, but sometimes I couldn't believe that I was getting paid for what i was doing.

    I like the third painting without the whole span of the mouth of the slide. The whole mouth may tell a story but it's not as compositionally taut as without it. A big expanse of purple, I don't think purple is up to the job. It's fine here and there in little bits but I don't like it covering a lot of space, but then I really don't like purple.

    ReplyDelete