Saturday, November 7, 2020

November 7, 2020—Elaine O.

So, this is the watercolor/watercolor pencil painting. I think it's final. I may go back and add some defining darks, but not many. The paper is tired and so am I. It's served its purpose as a learning tool. And here's what I learned—pencils aren't paint. I find I need to dip them in water and use the side of the lead instead of the point to get the richness I want. And for me, the pencil just isn't as expressive or versatile as a brush. I can see adding a detail here or there at the end of a painting, but that's it. So far, I'm just not in love.

Chicago, View from Bobby's Window        9"x12"

I actually did try! Here, for instance, is a rough sketch of me, just before retiring my seasonal Halloween mask. It's mostly a pencil sketch, with some benefits. Adding water moves the color around (on the walls and blinds). Also, I've drawn into pre-wet areas on the skin and I've used the dipped tip on its side on the shirt and mask. I've come to the conclusion that pencils are drawing tools, not painting tools. And as such, I'll probably be using them in my sketchbook, not so much in final paintings.

Halloween Mask    ~ 7" x 5"

But that's not all! I also lucked into a set of fine line watercolor markers and had to try them out. Previously, I tested the Winsor & Newton Water Colour Marker sample we received from Johanna Silva. Just a Thalo blue marker and a water brush.... 

Picasso        6"x6"

Here's my first quick go with the new set. Remember, these are fineline tips, unlike the W&N marker above. Here are my thoughts so far. The colors are more vibrant and fluid than pencil, but they dry fast and don't move too much with water. It's more like drawing than painting (but it's closer to painting than the pencil). It's kind of like sketching with water soluble ink and dragging out the color for shading. I'm planning to play with them some more but wonder if I shouldn't pick up a set with dual tips or brush tips. That might just suit the way I paint more.

Steve at Larch    ~8"x4"

And playtime isn't over yet. Next week, I'll be experimenting with oil pastels! See you then.


6 comments:

  1. After trashing watercolor pencils last week, I gotta say, I like the way you used them in these sketches. The marks add a lot of texture and energy to the paintings, especially the portraits of you & Steve. Even in your window sketch, the smudges of color add depth and interest imo. Keep experimenting...they are a pain to sharpen tho, imo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color pencils are hard. You dip you in the water but you can never tell whether you will get a smooth line, or a rough line. and then if you get too much water they puddle and bleed into the puddle, and they don't keep their points long and when you sharpen them the lead wants to break free and clog the sharpener. When I first started using them I wanted to accentuate line, to have thes smoothness with the paint contrast with the jaggedness of the line, but anymore they are in more of a supporting role, which is why, as Sara has pointed out, they don't show up in the painting.

    I like the self portrait. you have what looks like a fierce look, though looking closer, you like a bit bored. I wonder if after eight months we have begun to read expressions just through the eyes.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Always interesting experimenting with new media. It's like starting a new relationship, you've got to give it time to get to know each other and see how to work together. It's not going to do what you already know how to do, but it may do something you've never thought of before.

    I like how you transitioned between the wet pencil and the wet watercolor about midway at the grass/water level. And on each side of the painting. Maybe something like that could happen at the upper skyline too.

    Your rough and tumble masked portrait looks great and used the sketch media well. And I do like the Steve sketch with the wc markers. Does it make any difference if you do it on wc paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s what I like to use them for. After spending so much time on a painting I hate to screw it up with some detail like a nostril. The pencil just makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's like following the yellow brick road to Oz. I do like your simple sketch but,as my granddaughter once said, "I'm not going into your house."

    ReplyDelete