Saturday, November 28, 2020

In Search of Negative Space

 Today's painting is inspired by 2 photos: The left photo of a camping reunion at Woodhaven Lakes during a July 4th weekend. My female cousins & I went to the beach while our spouses stayed behind at campsite for male bonding. I posed with my partner's swimshorts since I missed him at the beach. My female rel


atives, sans spouses,  enjoyed our time at the beach anyway. The right photo is a recent one of my  husband after his shower during one pandemic morning. I felt that the second photo addressed what was missing in the first photo, thus I combined them to produce one art work. This happy painting is also inspired by our personal pandemic experience this year that whatever missing in our lives, we find the solution no matter what. Sometimes, we face problems that need unusual treatment or attention for the first time! And we learned that the term Negative means good news! Keep the Faith! 

4 comments:

  1. I've been trying to guess the story in your painting before I read the explanation. This time, it looks like a split screen movie scene. I see you playing a trick on Tony by stealing his swimsuit--maybe he took too long to get ready?--and he's looking down at you on the beach from his hotel window. I guess I was wrong!

    Anyway, I like the way you blended the two disparate sections with line and color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting is like a visual joke: you’re holding what he’s looking for - his pants! But it really goes beyond that: your open, sunny upbeat nature is what he needs right now, while he is closed in an unnaturally green world....ok, enough psychoanalysis! I especially like the way he and his environment is painted: the greens, the patterns, his posture. Also like the way the color palette links the two scenes. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I see him looking back in time, wet out of the shower, looking back through time's window to a sunny day on the beach, but actually the present doesn't look all that dreary. Maybe he is going to crawl right back into that green bed and dream of that sunny day when for whatever reason he did not make it out to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your combining of the two photos is great, Susan. And they make a great story as you can tell from all the comments. Not only that, you make it work visually with color, value, texture. I see as a teasing matador and a reluctant bull.

    ReplyDelete