Friday, August 4, 2023

August days….



 Not too much painting time this week, but I did paint “August Shadows “ today. Focused on mixing colors on the paper, but mostly I was using too much water for this paper. I like the pots, the deck and the shadows, but not too crazy about the plants and the flowers. I don’t want a lot of detail but I don’t like these blobs of color either…finished Quinnie earlier this week.she looks older and more serious and I didn’t really do justice to her hair, which curls every which way in the photo…I might try this again. Leaving on Sunday for a week in South Haven with the fam — maybe I’ll get some better pics to work from! Happy August! Last chance to be lazy in the sunshine….

3 comments:

  1. I love the potted plants and have no problem with the flowers. Perspective is really good and the weathering of the pots is artistic and excellent. I also like your portrait style. Every time you do one it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah, those flowers are just too gauzy to hold up to those very solid pots. Like the colors on them and those long purple shadows. I liked the earlier versions of the mighty Quinn better, she is just too serious in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, you really have a gift for showing where the light hits. The pots are beautiful and Quinn's face has the strong contrast and ruddy shadows that kids naturally have in the sun. Beautiful! I also like your choice of background and dress for the portrait. It perfectly frames the face and doesn't get obtrusive. You may want do add a touch of definition to the flowers... but you don't need to do much as they are sun bleached and wouldn't show a lot of detail.

    ReplyDelete