Sunday, August 20, 2023

Alan in Chicago 9

 Feeling okay after getting pacemaker implanted. 

Tried some crazy s@?: on Japanese rice paper. This is the regular painting on hot press. 


Made a few changes since last time. Still like the glasses, hair , and the shirt. 

This is on rice paper pasted onto 140# paper. I painted it first and then pasted it on. I wish I had pasted it first before painting because a lot of the dark colors bled all over the place making the piece much darker than I wanted. Still liked the hair after using white pastel to add the grey. 


It was hard to lift color from the delicate paper. 

Then I pasted the rice paper onto Yupo. This was a big mistake because the rice paper got too wet sitting on the plastic surface making it almost impossible to work. Sometimes the rice paper would simply dissolve. But I got some interesting stuff with it. 



I’ll try this again on Rough paper the way I was going to do originally. 

7 comments:

  1. I don't understand your process at all. I like that last one looks like a waking dream or maybe LSD. If you start over I would leave out the woman in red, she is too far away to be important and she does not mesh well with his face. But I am glad to see that you are keeping up the pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to understand. I’m just trying to get more texture in my paintings and flow against photo realism. You don’t learn anything when everything works out just the way you planned.

      Delete
    2. True, those little surprises are at the heart of watercolor painting. Sometimes you just have to throw things at the wall and see what sticks. I get you now.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I love to see experimenting! I like the texture the rice paper brings to the middle one (and I especially like the hair and glasses). I can see how the surface was not quite up to the technique on the last one, but I think you got some interesting effects and a definite mood. I'm wondering what would happen if you used masa paper instead of rice paper. In theory, you'd get some of the same effects, but it's sturdier. Anyway, just a thought. Oh, and the woman in the red shirt works for me--she frames his face, except in the last one where the values are too close to his nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Everything just ran together and I couldn’t blot it out. I’ll try again but I would never put that paper on Yupo. I’ll try pasting the rice paper on watercolor paper first and then drawing and painting after it dries. I think that it would be better to use wet on wet for the background, letting it dry completely, then using dry on dry for details. Too much water allows too much seepage.

      Delete
  3. I can relate to the last painting—-I woke up feeling like that this morning….

    ReplyDelete