Friday, June 30, 2023

 




So, my most recent painting. This is from a photo I took of the Golden Gate after being down below at Baker Beach and walking (climbing, scaling?!) back up that hill. I stopped at least three times to rest. Afterwards I followed the path over and walked over (and back) the bridge.

I am happy with most of the painting. The only thing that I am disappointed with is my not sticking with a simpler palette of colors. I intended to have it read more holistically, so not a set of different parts with their own color palette. But, as is my habit, I got a bit too focused on trying to replicate the photo. The most difficult part was the rocky outcropping on the middle-right. I remember that rocks and stones are difficult when drawing with pencil or charcoal, but they are even worse in watercolor.

The easiest part (and probably the most satisfying) was the foreground - lots of splattering paint, sponge use and a little bit of masking.

2 comments:

  1. :) Very impressed by your foreground work. Look at those branches as if going to take you into the bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the color palette feels very cohesive. I especially like the sense of mist or haze across the whole painting--like you're actually there.

    ReplyDelete