Saturday, May 27, 2023

Elaine O. — May 27, 2023

I started a painting featuring some lovely details in the sanctuary of St. Gregory church. I love the composition (even if I find it a bit dizzying) and hope I can do justice to the architectural artistry. As we all know, though, browns are my nemesis. Why am I doing this to myself?!

11" x 14"

I've been living in my sketchbook lately as I'm getting very close to finishing one. Also, I've been organizing and consolidating art supplies--and playing with some of them. Remember back in January when I tried gouache? Specifically jelly gouache. Well, it's half a year later and I opened the palette to find the gouache ready to go with only a gentle misting. Here's a quick direct sketch I did to test them. I'm impressed.

approx. 7" x 4"

4 comments:

  1. I love that church of course. I like that view, everything points upwards and isn't that what we want in a church? This gouache mania is going to far if you ask me, but it is a free country I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'd hardly call it "gouache mania!" I used them twice in 6 months--and I think I used them more like watercolors than gouache. Still, I'll take care to be sure I don't get too caught up in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, "gouache mania" is cracking me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever it is, it is very sweet and someone will treasure it someday.

    ReplyDelete