Saturday, July 17, 2021

Elaine O. — July 17, 2021

Here's the finished painting. These water lilies are in a koi pond, so the koi make an appearance, but the blossom itself does not.

Water Lilies VII        9" x 12"

This time, I roughly documented the process. I began in a rather slapdash way, but liked the result, as you recall. Here's the beginning...

 ...from there, I slowly began to add the water and fine tune details. It doesn't photograph too well, but it had a shimmery, pastel feel at this stage.

I kept going to get the water the shade of the actual subject. It's pretty shallow at this point, so you can see the fish clearly and the dark water brings out the warm colors of the lily pads and fish.


And from here, I tweaked the details to get to the final. I may go back and revisit some of the earlier stages. While they aren't exactly what I saw, I rather like the feel. Oh, and as for the experimental paint...this time it was Olive Green by Holbein. Although it is a lovely color, I did adjust it. Would I buy it again once this tube runs out? Probably not, but only because it's easy enough to mix and I don't use this color enough to justify having it as a convenience color.


No comments:

Post a Comment